Honey for hair: properties and benefits
Did you know that honey can be a great ally for our hair? The truth is that the uses and benefits of this delicious food go far beyond its use in the kitchen.
Without a doubt, honey is a product that has numerous beneficial properties, which contribute to the care of our body, both internally and externally.
Here we show you what are the benefits of honey for hair Attention!
Properties of honey
There are multiple beneficial properties of honey for our body. It is very common to drink a glass of milk with honey to relieve throat discomfort. This is thanks to its anti-inflammatory, soothing, antiseptic and antioxidant properties.
Beyond its delicious taste, honey is a food rich in vitamins and minerals; as well as in essential amino acids, which contribute to the strengthening of our body, the reduction of blood sugar or the recovery of sleep.
Now, as we discussed earlier, the properties of honey are also beneficial on the outside of our body, such as the face, hair, nails or skin. It is a very nutritious food, which helps to strengthen and hydrate our skin, thus preventing its aging.
The benefits of honey for hair
We already know the benefits of honey in our body. Now, what are the benefits of honey on our hair?
Honey is a product rich in vitamins B and C, antioxidants, proteins and minerals, which help to strengthen our hair and protect it from external agents.
- Deeply hydrates: Honey provides deep hydration to our hair. Thanks to its moisturizing properties, honey hydrates our hair from the inside, filling and strengthening it. In addition, it also helps to condition and soften the hair, giving it a smooth and silky texture.
- Provides shine: Honey is an incredible ingredient with which to add shine and light to our hair. In this way, either by means of a mask, or simply by adding honey to our shampoo, we will end up with dry or dehydrated hair.
- Deep cleanses: Thanks to its antiseptic properties, honey deeply cleans hair follicles, achieving clean and healthy hair.
- Straighten the hair: Still do not know the anti-frizz properties of honey? The truth is that the moisturizing properties of honey help reduce hair frizz, ending the dreaded frizz effect.
- Goodbye to dandruff: Honey can also be a great ally against dandruff, thanks to its moisturizing and anti-fungal properties, which hydrate the hair, while eliminating bacteria.
- Strengthens hair: Being rich in vitamins and minerals, this natural sweetener helps nourish, hydrate and strengthen hair from the roots. This guarantees a much stronger and more resistant hair, thus preventing it from falling out.
- Avoid hair aging: Did you know that factors such as pollution or the use of dryers, age our hair? That is why it is important not only to protect it and repair the existing damage; but we must also prevent future damage. Thus, the antioxidant properties of this product prevent premature aging of our hair.
Make a honey hair mask
Next we are going to see how to make a natural honey mask, ideal for all hair types. With it, we can hydrate the hair in depth. Remember that if you have an oily scalp, it is best to apply the mixture from medium to ends.
Ingredients needed for the mask
- Honey at room temperature
- Olive oil
- A small bowl
- A comb
- A towel
We can use any variety of honey in our mask. The important thing is to opt for one that is at room temperature, since it will be much easier to mix and apply.
And why do we mix it with olive oil? Well, we chose this oil thanks to its numerous vitamins A and E, as well as fatty acids that hydrate and fight dry hair.
Steps to make the honey hair mask
- We add oil and honey in equal parts in a bowl. Depending on the length of the hair, we will add more or less of both ingredients.
- We mix the ingredients vigorously until they are completely integrated. This can be a bit tricky at first, but after a few minutes it will be easier. In addition, we can help ourselves with a large spoon, a fork or even a hand mixer, depending on what is most comfortable for us.
- We place the towel on the shoulders and proceed to apply our mask. To do this, it is best to gradually wet the hair and apply the mixture, insisting well on each strand. In this step we can use a brush or apply it directly by hand.
- We cover the hair with the towel and let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes.
- We rinse the hair and proceed to wash it with our usual shampoo. It may happen that you need to repeat the wash a couple of times to completely remove the remains of the mask.
- We let the hair air dry and that’s it!
You may also be interested in: