Monofloral honeys: characteristics and types
Depending on the time of year in which we are or the type of nectar used, bees are capable of producing a multitude of different varieties of honey, such as monofloral and polyfloral honeys.
Currently, most of the honeys that we consume are polyfloral, that is, they are made with the nectar of different varieties of flowers, plants, trees, herbs, etc.
On the contrary, monofloral honeys are those whose nectar comes mainly from the same flower, so it is sometimes difficult to find pure monofloral honey.
Characteristics of monofloral honeys
Monofloral honeys generally do not only come from the nectar of a single flower, but nectars from other flowers can also be found in it, which will provide different and differentiating nuances.
Although monofloral honeys are more expensive and difficult to obtain, the truth is that they have qualities that differentiate them from other honeys. The color, flavor, fragrance and even the therapeutic properties of monofloral honeys make them stand out compared tohoneys polyfloral.
To determine whether it is monofloral honey or not, it is necessary to carry out a pollen and other sensory analysis, through which the beekeeper can determine the type of honey obtained. Thus, without these analyzes it is impossible to determine what type of honey it is.
On the other hand, it is important to bear in mind that in monofloral honeys no flower essences are added, that is, they do not taste or smell like any specific flower. It is true that honeys can have warm, fresh, fruity aromas, or they can even have a slight smell of a specific flower, although this is generally not the case.
Thus, thanks to the presence of a certain flowering and the use of specific nectars, monofloral honeys have unique organoleptic characteristics.
Types of monofloral honeys
There are many monofloral honeys, below, we will show you the most popular ones.
- Forest Honey: its color is very dark, although depending on the variety of honeydew, its color may vary. Its flavor is sweet and strong, with soft salty notes. Its enormous antioxidant properties stand out, as well as the treatment of lung conditions, such as asthma, flu or pneumonia.
- Acacia Honey: light yellow honey, with a very saves aroma and flavor. Indicated to combat respiratory system conditions, maintain intestinal regularity or relieve stomach acidity.
- Rosemary Honey: its color is very light and soft amber, with a very sweet and slightly herbaceous flavor. It is indicated for the decongestion of the liver and the treatment of stomach ulcers.
- Eucalyptus Honey: ocher-colored honey, with a woody flavor and a characteristic smell. It stands out for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as for its balsamic effects.
- Orange tree honey, also known as orange blossom. Its flavor is thick, sweet, delicate and subtle. It is called this way, due to the fact that they have the nectar of the orange blossom and lemon flowers. This honey has relaxing properties, it is highly digestive, with antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory and antiallergic effect.